The Senior Product Engineer is responsible for conceiving, designing and developing base engine components and systems for advanced engine concepts with a focus on improving fuel economy. The Engineer will work closely with designers, CAE and other engineering teams to design base engine components and systems from initial advanced concepts through single cylinder and multi-cylinder prototype engine phases. In addition, the Engineer will support dynamometer and bench testing along with pretest coordination and assisting in the coordination of handing off successful projects to production teams. The Engineer is responsible for managing project budget and manpower within initial project scopes assigned to them and will support development of yearly project proposals for submission to the product committee. Responsibilities will also include benchmarking competitor engines and components to insure future competitiveness as part of ongoing projects, and interfacing with production technical specialists to insure that corporate guidelines are vetted when developing new designs. The candidate for this role must be willing to push technical boundaries and still work well with people.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Automotive or Aerospace Engineering field from an ABET accredited university
- 5 years of engine engineering experience and a good working knowledge of engine operation
- Experience with design and building of engines for targeted performance specifications
- Experience in understanding internal and external customer requirements
- Passion for vehicles and powertrains
- Ability to lead teams and manage suppliers
- Familiarity with DFMEA and DVP&R documents
- Working knowledge of casting, machining processes, GD&T and NX to insure proper design
- Must have excellent communication, presentation and technical report writing skills as well as, experience with basic PC software (e.g. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project)
- Must be highly motivated, self-directed, have the ability to manage multiple complex projects, and have a positive attitude
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- 10 years of design/development experience in engine design and/or engine systems development
- Ability to reach consensus on complicated issues
- Manufacturing process knowledge and exposure to a wide range of production process options
- Experience moving a product from initial concept through prototype tooling, testing, production tooling, validation and launch
- Ability to resolve conflicting requirements across multiple organizations
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong computer software skills
- Familiarity with CAE tools (FEA-thermal & structural, CFD-1D& 3D, kinematic & dynamic analysis)
- DFSS certification
Our benefits reflects the FCA commitment to helping you reach your personal and professional goals. In addition to an environment that promotes career development, we offer benefits for a healthy lifestyle and a rewarding future, designed to take care of you and your family, in various stages of life.
As a global company, our employee packages will vary by country, customary norms and the legal entity into which you are hired.