The Powertrain Controls Development Engineer is responsible for engine control algorithm development in the areas of: gas exchange processes (valve control, turbocharging, EGR, tumble flap, etc.), fuel systems (port and direct injection systems), combustion processes (spark and compression ignition), utilization of sensors in feedback and feedforward control strategies, integrated powertrain control (torque characterization, engine/transmission interactions, powertrain optimization strategies), alternator and electrical load management, and thermal characterization and thermal management. Controls algorithm development typically begins as an advanced effort, but must ultimately meet program timelines and conform to high level/functional requirements. Algorithm development is done using Matlab-Simulink and rapid prototyping tools. The work is performed in the vehicle, dynamometer and/or simulator environment. The successful candidate will use these tools to develop algorithms and follow the development through to production software, including the development of all supporting documentation (includes FMEAs, testing, and validation reports) and calibration guides.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, Computer Engineering, Applied Physics, or another related engineering degree
- 5 years of experience, however, an advanced degree and/or academic research in a related field may count towards experience requirement
- Experience with: Gas exchange processes (valve control, turbocharging, EGR, tumble flap, etc.), Fuel systems (port and direct injection systems), Combustion processes (spark and compression ignition), Utilization of sensors in feedback and feedforward control strategies, Integrated powertrain control (torque characterization, engine/transmission interactions, powertrain optimization strategies), Alternator and electrical load management, Thermal characterization and thermal management
- Knowledge of internal combustion engines and engine control systems
- Experience in standard controls tools, modeling/simulation/development/testing/validation
- Outstanding interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Will be a self-starter who is able to work cross-functionally with other organizations
- Advanced degree
- Engine calibration and/or embedded software
- Matlab-Simulink experience
- Leadership experience
Our benefits reflects the FCA commitment to helping you reach your personal and professional goals. In addition to an environment that promotes career development, we offer benefits for a healthy lifestyle and a rewarding future, designed to take care of you and your family, in various stages of life.
As a global company, our employee packages will vary by country, customary norms and the legal entity into which you are hired.