The Vehicle Safety Performance Engineer (VSPE) is responsible for managing their assigned vehicle programs to ensure all vehicle safety functional objectives are achieved on time and within target. They must also confirm that approved program financials are aligned with the technical safety content required to achieve the domestic and international regulatory & 3rd party safety ratings targets.
Once program safety targets are established and the program has been approved, the VSPE will manage all safety related development activities to ensure the associated functional objectives and KPIs are being achieved at each program milestone and the program is meeting all milestone requirements. Through utilization of their technical knowledge, strong communication skills and ability to lead cross-functional working teams through issue resolution, the VSPE will establish and manage a collaborated risk mitigation strategy for identified safety related issues and present the strategy to the vehicle program team and other key stakeholders. The VSPE will communicate the program safety status and all pending high risk issues and related mitigation strategies at the relevant program leadership forums including VIT, Umbrella, Stakeholders and other forums, as required. Additional responsibilities include working in collaboration with all associated vehicle safety teams in developing component, sled, and vehicle test budgets.
The ideal candidate for this position must be a strategic, self-reliant and forward thinking individual who is able to lead cross-functional teams to issue resolution through positive engagement. They must also possess strong communication and presentation skills in order to communicate complicated technical issues in a very comprehensible manner.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited or equivalent program
- A minimum of 8 years of engineering experience
- A minimum of 2 years of crash/safety related experience is required, specifically in one or more of the following areas:
- Design of vehicle structures for impact performance using computer aided engineering (CAE)
- Restraint system or component development
- Sled and/or full vehicle testing
- Program Management or Project Chief on safety related commodities
- Government regulations pertaining to full vehicle crash for all markets
- Strong overall vehicle knowledge and familiarity with global vehicle safety standards
- Understanding of the vehicle development process through applied professional and leadership work experience
- Strong ability and skills in root causing and problem solving
- Familiarity with DYNA3D, CATIA/NX/TC, Hypergraph, data/film analysis and advanced simulation techniques
- Proven track record in leading teams to meet planned program functional objectives and targets
- Well familiar with cross-functional interaction and conflict among key functional attributes — NVH, Impact, and Durability.
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited or equivalent program
- Proven impact analysis skills
- Excellent leadership and communication abilities (written, verbal, and presentation)
- Non-Linear Finite Element Analysis experience
Our benefits reflects the FCA commitment to helping you reach your personal and professional goals. In addition to an environment that promotes career development, we offer benefits for a healthy lifestyle and a rewarding future, designed to take care of you and your family, in various stages of life.
As a global company, our employee packages will vary by country, customary norms and the legal entity into which you are hired.